Sunday, December 9, 2012

Snow, Football, and Baked Potato Soup

Sunday. My favorite day of the week.

Every week I look forward to Sunday. Sunday is my day to reflect, relax and just be me. Sunday usually starts for me when my little furball of a dog pokes his nose at me - he wants to go outside for a walk. some would find themselves reluctant to wake up at 7:03 am on a Sunday, but I love it. I always look to the floor beside my bed knowing that I'll find some comfortable pair of pajama pants that won't be too dirty to wear on our morning walk.

This morning when I opened the front door I was greeted with a wonderful winter wonderland! Snow - snow everywhere! Snow on the ground, on the trees, on my coat... just snow everywhere. I love it! I especially love snow on Sundays. It lends to my thoughts and it paves the way for a peaceful day. The snow pushes me to stay inside, enjoy another cup of coffee and perhaps make something tasty to eat. This morning I found that I had six baking potatoes. I've decided to make baked potato soup. My Sunday ritual always includes cooking.

Lately my Sunday ritual involves football as well. I fucking love my state - being a Minnesotan fills me with a sense of pride and joy. I love being from the north and I love the fact that my Minnesotan brethren can't seem to understand that the word 'you' isn't actually 'ya'. I love that elongated pronunciation of the letter 'o' - like it feels so good to say that any time we find our beloved vowel in a word we automatically reserve three seconds to pronounce it. So needless to say my love of being a Minnesotan has eventually directed me towards the Minnesota Vikings. Sunday now includes football (provided a game is on), and I'm finding that I actually like it, or perhaps I just like the ritual of being a Minnesotan and saying I like the Vikings. Or, perhaps I just want to feel like I have a reason to wear a Minnesota Vikings sweatshirt. Or maybe I just want to drink beer on Sunday at lunch time. Regardless, it's become part of my Sunday ritual.

Sometime on Sunday I'll do laundry, perhaps I'll write or look at new recipes. Eventually Sunday will involve preparing my clothes for the upcoming work week along with a lunch for Monday. The Sunday ritual will conclude with an hour dedicated to the show Dexter and then an early retreat to bed. My favorite day of the week is so - uneventful... but I wouldn't change a thing.

Except for snow. It is always welcome to snow on a Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment