Thursday, December 6, 2012

Morbid Thoughts

One thing that really fascinates me is what death row inmates choose for their last meal prior to their execution. I wonder what was going through Stacey Lamont Lawton's mind as he requested an entire jar of dill pickles for his last meal, or Victor Feguer who requested one unpitted olive. Are they thinking of the last things they want to taste before they die? Do they find themselves consumed by memories of the past, hoping that one simple piece of food will help make that memory feel somewhat real one more time before their death?

I've given some thought as to what my last meal would be should I ever find myself in situation where I need to eat said last meal. My request would be:

  • 1 medium Carbone's cheese pizza
  • A six-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager
  • Spicy buffalo wings with blue cheese
  • Dippin dots ice cream (banana split)
While I may know what I want at this point and time in my life, I wonder if my mind would change knowing that my death was right around the corner. Would I opt for a single cup of really good coffee instead? Or would I forgo a meal altogether due to nerves? 

I hope I'm never in that situation, but I just can't help but wonder about it and entertain my curiosities of those who have been in that position. 

1 comment:

  1. I've wondered about this before, not that I ever thought I'd have to pick a last meal.

    At this time, though, it would consist of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy, and some Tahitian Treat.

    ReplyDelete